DROP1 SITREP: Most recent feedback from Rob at R&N is that the S35VN steel has been ordered, is being cut and heat treated in the USA. It will be shipped over then they will get to work locally. 8-10 weeks approx I'd say based off last timings provided.
Firstly, we would like to thank you for being a part of this special project. Personally, we are very proud to be offering this knife, thank you for your support. It has been a journey to reach this point, with over 25 major design changes from the initial concept drawings many months ago.
The initial, serial numbered run has been capped at 25 and is currently underway with R&N Blades.
Making a practical bush knife with our own flare has been on the to-do list for over a decade, it is a great feeling to finally have things underway and have excellent people like yourselves wanting to be a part of it all.
What makes this significant?
All proceeds from this project will be donated to the Australian 'Commando Welfare Trust' (https://www.commandotrust.com/) where funds will be used to assist our war fighters and their families after over 20 years of combat operations.
We are proud to be working to assist the great people from the Commando Welfare Trust.
Now that we have received the pre-production prototype (pictures attached) from R&N Blades, the shape is excellent, it fits nicely in the hand, the scales feel great and the blade hook works perfectly for shaving off tinder strips and working on fine cutting tasks. We have made some great changes to the sheath that will provide a more stable platform to draw from and carry nicely on a belt. The production prototype above has tubes, NOT PINS holding the scales on, this will be cosmetically different on your knife.
Our prototype Field Master knife has been used to baton wood, create ‘feather stick’ tinder, cut rope, prepare food, notch wood and has just generally been beaten up a bit, but comes back for more!
USA made and heat treated S35VN steel has been selected for this knife (https://knifeup.com/how-good-is-cpm-s35vn-knife-steel/) prior to being ground then polished into a glorious, clean blade profile.
Production model features:
- S35VN steel, approx. 4.2mm thick, USA heat treating
- Overall length approximately 256mm
- Tracker style blade notch for fine cutting & bush crafting ‘feather stick’ type work
- Flat blade segment approximately 65mm
- Full tang design for extra strength & balance
- Drop point blade
- Thumb ramp with jimping for grip
- Forward jimping for control during finer tip cutting tasks such as skinning
- Contoured G10 scales over the comfortable shaped handle
- Dropped heel shape for pulling / drawing
- Lanyard loop hole
- Triple, high quality stainless steel pins
- 2 piece sandwich Kydex sheath in the outstanding A-Tacs iX pattern
- Twin, spring steel belt clips will fix the sheath to the belt
- Sheath retention achieved by pinching the hand guard
- Pride knowing you are supporting a good cause
- Pride knowing you are supporting two Australian businesses
- Pride knowing you will own one of the very first extremely custom, hand made, tracker knives in Australia
Time indication from R&N is approximately 10 weeks factoring in COVID delays, freight and materials from the USA and production scheduling locally.
Once the knives are completed and ready to depart, you will receive the blade, sheath, certificate and LVG patch by express post.
The steel has been ordered for this project and will be shipped over from the USA. Shaping, grinding, heat treating, polishing etc. will take place in Victoria here with Rob and his talented team.
For more information, please email us to have your name on the DROP 2 list currently underway.